About occupational standards
National Occupational Standards (NOS) define the competences which apply to job roles or occupations in the form of statements of performance, knowledge and the evidence required to confirm competence. They cover the key activities undertaken within the occupation in question under all the circumstances the job holder is likely to encounter.
They can be used to:
- Describe good practice in particular areas of work
- Set out a statement of competence which bring together the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to do the work
- Provide managers with a tool for a wide variety of workforce management and quality control
- Offer a framework for training and development
- Form the basis of National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) , Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) and other vocationally related qualifications.